Monday, August 5, 2013

Cube World Bugs Encountered

At first impression Cube World is really mature.

We walk around most of the time going: "This game is amazing!" and "Wow!". This game is great fun.

The distribution of stuff and bosses is great, for me there is the perfect amount of constant intrigue. This game is pretty close to done.

But on first impression if I were to only focus on negative stuff I would probably come up with the following:

---

Focussing on the Negative 

(This information does not give an impression of the game! It's merely notes about functionality.)

It works really well -- there seem have been no glitches encountered in the game so far.

--
On the other hand there seems to be some application level glitches.

Despite being a "native" windows game (I'm using Windows 7) it doesn't feel 100% stable. Quitting seems most unstable and at this stage quitting freezes my computer for anything up to minutes. 

Attached is after waiting about a minute in to trying to quit -- note the windows (not responding). The whole machine is unresponsive at this time. The quitting time tends to range from 10s of seconds (say 30-60) up to many minutes. 

Goodness knows what it's thinking about.



--
The other thing circled here is the lack of icon, which seems odd -- could just be my installation.

--
One other thing is fullscreen had problems. Switching out and back in fullscreen mode killed my computer one time (nyaw, black screen, reboot).

--
Capture/print screen did not work correctly for me at all from fullscreen mode. I got a range of different results using built-in Prt Sc. Sometimes it captured an 800x600 windowed version -- it seemed to do this most consistently though not always, one time it captured a full windowed sized box with no rendering in it, one time it captured black.

Obviously it's fine in windowed mode as you can tell from all the screenshots.

--
In windowed mode the graphics seem to be positioned in not quite the right position on the canvas.

It's barely perceptible, but must admit it was one of the very first things I noticed (look at me all fussy about pixels).

Main title is flush with the icky top windows pane.

It doesn't do this in fullscreen mode, and generally looks lovely.

Overall though, I'm happy the developers have focussed on getting the game itself working awesome first. Good job guys!

---

The only other mentionable things would be that the UI seems not that intuitive -- but this is a user problem I think :)

The crafting/spell/inventory window system is very confusing. The windows look very similar and the controls seem obfuscated (right-click does ... wha? ... shift-click ... where? huh?).

Though hopefully I will learn.




No comments:

Post a Comment